Ramblings of a Mad Piggie

Saturday, July 15, 2006

wHOA....dIDN'T sEE tHIS oNE cOMING

A couple of days ago, the boy and I went to dinner. Nothing special. Just some chineese food. During dinner, the topic came about that he being Catholic and had made the two sacraments, he would be doing the third, Confirmation. He then informed me that he didn't really believe in God. I think my jaw dropped at that and he said, "See, now I've freaked you out."
When your 14 yr old son says something like that, I think I'm entitled to be shocked. We're not church going people. We've been raised Catholic, but not "practicing". We don't go to church on Sundays, but we have our faith and belive. He said my faith is lost hope. Oh man Oh man.
Some things that the boy expressed:

"How do you know there is a God?"
"Where is the proof?"
"Faith is just lost hope."
"Who says the Bible is right? How do you we know that some man just didn't create it? After all, truths are something that once started as a lie and the more people belived it, the more it became true."
" There are no miracles, just coincidences."
"I think that after we die, we go into the ground, and a part of our life-force sometimes stays behind. (He went into that more in depth, but I couldn't wrap my head around that one)

Ok, so that was the religion part.
Then came the society part.

"Nobody shows their true selves to anyone."
"People walk thru this life, without ever knowing true happiness"
"We're just puppets"
"Materialism is the only thing people belive in"
"Life is about, being born, growing up, get a job, find a wife, have kids, home, dog, and then die. And if that's what it takes to "be normal", then that's what I'm supposed to do."
"What is normal? That's just the perception of a group of people who have to all think a like so they won't be the odd man out."

and on and on and on.

It's a lot to digest. I told hubby what happened, and he said I'm trying to rationalize with a 14 yr old that hasn't experienced anything in life yet. True, but that doesn't mean I don't have to listen and let the boy have a voice.

I'll tell you what though, he'd be one hell of a debater! Now I see why some teachers, especially Mr. R , calls on him to answer questions on class. He does give a hell of a different outlook on life, than just the plain old boring answers.

That's my boy, as always, thinking and looking past the box. Don't know if this is a good thing or bad.

As far as the religion goes, that does bother me. I am still going to have him go to his classes, whether he wants to or not, cause I'm the parent and he's 14. I just hope he doesn't get into a debate with the teacher.

This year is looking to go smooooooth. Lord help me.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM , Blogger Just Me said...

I got nuthin! Sorry... :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home